Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada and you need a licence to work as a professional engineer. You cannot call yourself a professional engineer, use the professional designation (P.Eng.) or carry out engineering work in Canada unless you have a license. Each province and territory of Canada has its own regulatory structure to licence engineers, and to govern the practice of engineering and integrating skilled immigrants.

Engineers Canada is the national organization for the 12 provincial and territorial associations that regulate the practice of engineering in Canada.

We have prepared a Pre-Arrival Checklist of valuable information that will make arriving in Canada as smooth a process as possible.
Download the free Checklist


You need to apply directly to the appropriate provincial regulatory authority to become licensed as an engineer in Canada.

It is important for you to have a general overview of how your international qualifications may be viewed in Canada and have a general sense of the Canadian labour market and workplace culture. There are many steps that you can take before immigrating to Canada to improve your chances of success to practice your profession in your future country. 

  • Contact the Canadian diplomatic mission closest to you to find out about the employment requirements for the engineering occupation in Canada. 
  • Contact the regulatory association mandated with regulating engineers in the province where you will settle in Canada and enquire about the specific procedure to follow to obtain an Engineer’s permit and to know about the steps in the licensing process that you can take prior to immigrating and afterwards. 
  • You will need to prove your English or French (depending on your destination province) language competency or be tested. Even if you’re a good speaker of English or French, it’s helpful to improve your language skills and enroll in language classes while you are in your home country and continue them after moving to Canada. You can assess your language skills by taking an online self-assessment test on the Canadian Language Benchmarks website. 

Engineering free download

  • It is easier for you to gather and organize your official education, work and identity documents while still in your home country. Check with your provincial or territorial regulatory body to enquire about the documents you need to bring and about verifying the translation of these documents. You might need to use a professional translation service in Canada. 
  • Understand how your profession is practiced in Canada and familiarize yourself with the laws and legislation that governs your profession in the province where you will settle. 
  • Know the name of your job in Canada and make a list of potential employers. 
  • Enquire about the procedure to get a driver’s license in Canada and apply for it right after you land, as it would be very useful when you get a job or even to get a job. 
  • Another helpful thing you can do is to attend a Canadian Immigrant Integration Program (CIIP) seminar which organizes “pre-departure orientation” and a Know Before You Go webinar to know more about life in Canada.

4 thoughts on “Pre-Arrival

  1. Hi, my name is Herbert. I’m from Philippines, a degree holder of Electronics and Communication Engineering. I used to work in a contractor for Security System like CCTV, I also used to work as Admin in a large Food Processing Company here in our country and as Process Engineer in Magnet Manufacturing. I cant find myself building a good future here in our country so I’m really hoping to settle my career in other country. I heard so much in Canada and I am trying to find ways how I can find job. I am really hoping that you could help me. Please email me and so I can send my resume for you to check. Good luck and God Bless

  2. Hi, I am a B. Tech. (Mechanical ) Engineer
    I was serving in Public Transport Company in INDIA. & have a experience of 15 years a Truck & Coach Mechanic. I need a job in Canada.
    I have a Permenent Resident of Canada Visa & six months experience
    to work in Canada as a Diesel Mechanic.

  3. Hi my name is Tristan Tanfelix a degree holder and registered license mechanical engineer here in the Philippines. I’m currently employed on a local company and with almost 10 years experience in the field of Real estate, Building, and Facilities management for different local companies here in the Philippines. I’m heard so much in Canada and trying to find a opportunity with the same field I’m now practicing, I hoping that you could help/guide me. Please email me so I can send my email for you to check. Thank you very much

  4. My name is Abdulnasser holding Bsc. in civil engineering from Yemen, EPC tendering & contractual senior engineer ( Oil & Energy) with total experience +26 years and +10 years in tendering and proposal management having contracting strategic vision, contracts scope’s value engineering and contracts negotiations expertise
    – Expertise in FIDIC Conditions of Contract for Civil Engineering Constructions, the (New Red Book) and Conditions of Contract for EPC Turnkey Projects, the (Silver Book)
    Kindly advise me how can I have a short cut to work market in Canada hoping that you could help me. Please email me and so I can send my resume to whom may be concerned.
    Best regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>