For newcomers, learning to drive in Canada can be an important first step. If you have never had a driver’s license before, we’ll explore how you can learn to drive and get your driver’s license in Canada.
A driver’s license will help you do many practical activities such as:
- go to job interviews
- shop for groceries
- run important errands.
Learning to drive can also allow you to do personal activities like go on exciting road trips, discover charming small towns, and enjoy scenic drives.
A driving license can also be used as an official piece of Canadian identification. Just one more benefit of having a driving license.
Obtaining your driving license is also helpful if you plan to live in a suburb where communities are more spread out. That distance can make it challenging to get around quickly and efficiently without a car.
Thinking of where to live in Canada?
Already have your driver’s license?
You may already have your driving license from your home country. If you currently have a driver’s license you may be able to take advantage of the foreign license exchange agreement or get credits for your foreign driving experience. This will allow you to obtain your Canadian driver’s license more quickly.
Getting your driver’s license for the first time? Where to start
Getting your driver’s license in Canada may vary depending on the province where you reside. However, all provinces will require you to pass driving tests:
- A driving theory exam (a written exam that tests your knowledge of driving rules and road signs)
- A vision test
- One or two in-car driving tests.
Getting your G1 Driving License
When you successfully pass both the driving theory exam and vision test, you will get your G1 driving license. With a G1 driving license, you are only allowed to drive when there is a fully licensed driver in the car with a minimum of four years of driving experience. As well, there are other restrictions that you have to follow.
Getting Your G2 Driving License
To graduate from your G1 to a G2 driving license, you will have to pass a road test. The road test will test your basic driving skills. You can take this driving test after you been a G1 driver for 12 months.
Getting Your Full G License
To get your full G license, you must pass a test that covers advanced driving skills such as parallel parking and driving on a highway. You can take this driving test:
- After 12 months of driving with a G2 driving license, and
- Before the G2 driving license expiry date.
But if your G2 driving license expires, you’ll have to do all of the tests over again. So it’s important to complete your G license driving test before your G2 expires.
When you pass your G driving test, you will successfully get your full G license!. With this license, you can drive any car, van, or small truck.
Learning to drive with a professional driving school
If you do not have a driver’s license from your home country and have never driven before, you may want to learn to drive in Canada. A beneficial way to learn to drive is to take driving lessons before you get your license.
When you take driving lessons you can gain several benefits. For example, you can:
- Increase your safety: You’ll learn the rules of the road and the best driving techniques. From driving in changing weather conditions to avoiding a collision, you will increase your safety and the safety of others.
2. Develop good driving habits and skills: You’ll get the practice you need to drive with confidence and the skill to pass your driving test in Canada.
3. Learn with professional driving instructors: With an experienced and professional driving instructor, you’ll learn the proper driving techniques as well as the common mistakes you need to avoid. Activities like speeding or following too closely can amount to expensive tickets, collisions, and serious injury to yourself or others.
4. Get your driving license faster: When you complete your driving lessons and receive your certificate, you can take your driving test eight months after you complete your written test. Without a driving certificate from a qualified driving school, drivers must wait 12 months before they can take the G2 driving test. Learn more about Canada’s graduated licensing system.
5. Reduce your insurance rates: With a certificate from a driving school, you may be rewarded for your time and effort with lower car insurance rates. However, the driving school that you attend must be approved by the provincial Ministry of Transportation. Click here for approved driving schools in Ontario.
Key takeaways about learning to drive:
- Learning to drive in Canada can allow you to do many practical as well as personal activities.
2. While the process to get your driver’s license may vary slightly across Canada, all provinces use a graduated licensing system. This system allows you to progress from a G1 license to a G2 license, and finally to a full G license.
3. To learn to drive in Canada with confidence and skill, you can consider taking driving lessons from a government-approved driving school. Driving lessons provide you with many benefits, including lower car insurance rates in Canada that will save you money.
For more information about living, working, and banking in Canada, check out our upcoming free webinars!