Administrative assistant is a non-regulated profession in Canada and you don’t need a licence to practice your profession. The economy is currently booming in Canada and new companies are coming up all the time.
The Association of Administrative Professionals is the professional association which you can become a member of. The association assists its members in “the continuing development of administrative skill, underlying knowledge and professional growth, thus enhancing employment opportunities and contributions to both work place and community.”
Before you immigrate
There are steps that you can take before you immigrate to improve your chances of practicing your profession in Canada.
- Attend the Know Before You Go Webinar Series to learn more about life in Canada.
- Research how your international qualifications may be viewed in Canada and get a general sense of the Canadian labour market.
- Contact the local (or nearest) branch of the Association of Administrative Professionals in the city where you’ll settle in Canada and enquire about the employment process in Canada for your profession.
- Even if speak fluent English or French, it’s helpful to improve your language skills and enroll in language classes while in your home country and continue them after you move to Canada.
- Assess your language skills by taking an online self-assessment on the Canadian Language Benchmarks website.
- Gather and organize your official education, work and identity documents while still in your home country. Find out what documents you need to bring for employment purposes or to continue education. Verify if any documents need to be translated. You may need to use a professional translation service in Canada.
- Understand how the profession of administrative professionals is practiced in Canada and familiarize yourself with the procedures, laws, and legislation that govern the business sector in the province where you will settle.
- Know the name of your job in Canada and make a list of potential employers.
- Find out how to get a driver’s license in Canada and apply for it as soon as you land. It will be useful when you get a job, or even to search for a job.