Canada is a world leader in biotechnology (bio-economy) with a large network of research hospitals, universities, laboratories and companies.
BioTalent Canada is the national sector council for the biotechnology industry.
Before you immigrate
To improve your chances of success to practice your profession in your new country, there are many steps that you can take before immigrating to Canada:
- Attend the Know Before You Go Webinar Series to learn more about life in Canada.
- Research how your international qualifications may be viewed in Canada and get a sense of the Canadian labour market.
- BioTalent Canada provides resources to help you determine how ready you are to work in the Canadian biotechnology sector. These resources include modules on understanding the Canadian workplace, occupation-specific language skills, understanding of document use and critical thinking skills. The website also includes labour market studies and news that help you get an idea about the direction the industry is going in Canada, where are the opportunities, what are the challenges, etc.
- To practice the profession, you must have advanced English language competency, as it’s the working language in the bio-economy sector. Even if speak fluent English or French, it’s helpful to improve your language skills. Enroll in language classes while in your home country and continue them after you move to Canada.
- Assess your language skills by taking an online self-assessment on the Canadian Language Benchmarks website.
- Gather and organize your official education, work and identity documents while still in your home country. If they’re in a language other than English or French, you may need to use a professional translation service in Canada. Contact BioTalent Canada to ask about how to organize, translate and bring your educational documents to Canada.
- Familiarize yourself with the procedures, laws, and legislation that govern your profession in the province where you’ll settle.
- Know the name of your job in Canada and make a list of potential employers.
- Find out how to get a driver’s license in Canada and apply for it as soon as you land. It will be useful when you get a job, or even to search for a job.
[cjtoolbox name=’Career Pathways – Biotechnology CTA’]