Get information that is essential for all newcomers to Canada

Subscribe! Subscribe



While Human Resources is a non-regulated profession in Canada, obtaining the Chartered Professionals of Human Resources (CPHR) designation might give you a significant advantage over other professionals without this designation. CPHR Canada was established in 1994 and is the national voice of human resources associations from across Canada.

Before you immigrate

There are steps that you can take before you immigrate to improve your chances of practicing your profession in Canada:

  • Research how your international qualifications may be viewed in Canada and get a general sense of the Canadian labour market.
  • Research and plan your move to Canada at least three months before your arrival. You may get some leads, make connections and future contacts.
  • Contact the Canadian diplomatic mission closest to you to find out about the employment requirements for the human resources occupation in Canada.
  • Understand how your profession is practiced in Canada and familiarize yourself with the laws and legislation that govern your profession in the province where you’ll settle.
  • Join relevant Human Resources groups on LinkedIn to get a feel of what’s happening in North America. Don’t forget to get recommendations from your LinkedIn contacts.
  • Bring your professional documents, reference letters, testimonials and recommendations. If you’ve won awards, make sure you show them off. It might not be accepted in your home country, but in North America you need to speak about your awards and achievements.
  • Even if you speak fluent English or French, it’s helpful to improve your language skills. Enroll in language classes while you’re in your home country and continue them after you move to Canada.
  • Gather and organize your official education, work and identity documents while still in your home country. Check with your provincial or territorial regulatory body to find out what documents you need to bring and verify if the need to be translated. You may need to use a professional translation service in Canada.
  • Know the name of your job in Canada (some professions may be described differently in Canada) and make a list of potential employers.
  • Check with the professional association governing your occupation in your home country and find out if they have any links with similar associations in Canada.
  • Find out how to get a driver’s license in Canada and apply for it as soon as you land. It will be useful to have when you get a job, or even to search for a job.

New call-to-action