Get information that is essential for all newcomers to Canada

Subscribe! Subscribe-->

Airplane_pre_arrival_signMedical Radiation Technologist is a regulated profession in most Canadian provinces. You need to be registered with the relevant provincial authority in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan so that you are allowed to practice and use the professional designation.

Although the profession is regulated in the remaining provinces and territories, employers may require proof of successful completion of the national certification exam and proof of registration with the provincial association.

The Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) is the national professional association and certifying body. CAMRT represents four disciplines:

  • radiological technology
  • magnetic resonance
  • nuclear medicine
  • radiation therapy.

To help internationally educated medical radiation technologists to decide to live and work in Canada, the CAMRT provides online tools and resources to assess your credentials and help you prepare. This includes tools to help assess if you’re likely to meet requirements to practice in Canada, and what the Canadian work environment is like.

Before you immigrate

There are steps that you can take to improve your chances of practicing your medical radiation technology profession in Canada:

  • Research how your international qualifications may be viewed in Canada and get a general sense of the Canadian labour market.
  • Contact the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists and find out about the procedure to follow, and the potential costs and time required to obtain a permit. As well, ask about the steps in the licensing process that you can take before and after you immigrate.
  • If you have completed your medical radiation technology education in a language other than English or French, contact the regulatory bodies mandated with regulating your profession in the province where you will settle. Find out about any specific language requirements to work as medical radiation technologist in Canada. If you received your professional training  in English or French, the training institution may have to confirm what language you received instruction and were assessed.
  • You need to have strong English or French (depending on your destination province) language competency and you may be tested. Even if you speak fluent English or French, it’s helpful to improve your language skills and enroll in language classes while you are in your home country and continue them after you move to Canada.
  • Gather and organize your official education, work and identity documents while still in your home country. Find out what documents you need to bring for employment purposes, or to continue education. Verify if the documents need to be translated. You may need to use a professional translation service in Canada.
  • Understand how the medical radiation technology profession is practiced in Canada. Familiarize yourself with the procedures, laws, and legislation that govern the profession in the province where you will settle.
  • Know the name of your job in Canada and make a list of potential employers.
  • Find out how to get a driver’s license in Canada and apply for it right after you land. It will be useful to have when you get a job, or even to search for a job.

[cjtoolbox name=’Career Pathways – Medical Rad. Tech CTA’]