Get information that is essential for all newcomers to Canada


Living in Canada may be very different than your former country. There are many different types of housing in Nova Scotia for you to choose from.


This is the most common type of housing. Here, you pay rent every month to a landlord or company who owns and takes care of the house or apartment.
NOTE: It may be hard to find a house or apartment if you have a large family. Most Canadian families have 1-3 children and two parents. This is why most apartments are no larger than two or three bedrooms. If you have a larger or extended family, you might consider looking for a house to rent instead of an apartment.


Many new immigrants choose to buy their own home instead of renting. Houses in Nova Scotia are some of the most affordable in Canada. There is also a great variety to choose from. In 2011, the average cost of buying a house in Nova Scotia was $201,991. It can be much less if you live in a rural area of the province.
You can live 20 minutes from Halifax in a 3 bedroom house worth $200,000.
There are many real estate agents in Nova Scotia who can help you find a home (for a fee). They can also help you with mortgage and legal requirements. For a complete list of licensed real estate agents, contact the Nova Scotia Realtors Association.
For more information on buying and renting a home in Nova Scotia visit the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and the Residential Tenancies section of the Access Nova Scotia website.


This is a type of subsidized housing. Here, some residents pay rent based on their income and others pay rent that is closer to market prices. Together, they take care of the housing co-op by sharing duties and responsibilities. There is usually a waiting list for subsidized housing. More information can be found on The Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada website.


This is similar to co-operative housing because rent is based on income. Public housing is funded by the government for families with lower incomes. More information can be found on the Housing Nova Scotia website.
Tips For Finding an apartment or a House:
 If you have a problem with language, bring an English-speaking companion with you to view the apartment or the house.
 If you can, schedule viewings during the day so it’s easier to see any damage.
 Ask about any repairs that need to be made. Make a list of the damages before you sign or agree to anything. Make sure the landlord signs the list and attaches it to the lease so you will not be held responsible when your lease is over.
 Ask if utilities (water, electricity, heat, etc.) are included in the rent.
 There could be a limit on how many people are allowed to live there, or if pets are allowed. Make sure you ask about these rules.
 Have things ready for the landlord such as: income/pay stubs, resume and references. There may also be an application process.


When renting an apartment or home, you are responsible for any damage caused by your presence. Day to day upkeep and repairs, and fixing past damage, is the responsibility of the landlord.
Once you have signed a lease, you are legally responsible to follow its terms and conditions for as long as it says on the lease. If you need to move before the end of the lease, you may need to sublet. Subletting is finding someone to take over for the rest of your lease. A sublet must be approved by your landlord.
More information on tenant rules and responsibilities in Nova Scotia can be found on the Residential Tenancies section of the Access Nova Scotia website.


If your property is damaged or destroyed by unforeseen and uncontrollable events, the cost of repairing or replacing it may be paid through insurance. There are many different types of property insurance coverage plans and many different insurance companies. You can also hire an insurance broker to help you find the best type of insurance for your needs. Property insurance is recommended for homeowners and renters. It covers your actual home and many of your personal belongings.
Banks will not approve mortgages unless you show them proof that you have insurance. For more information on home insurance visit Insurance Canada’s website.


Whether you live in your own house or you rent an apartment, you will probably have other expenses besides your mortgage or rent. These expenses are called “utilities” or household expenses. Make sure to ask about water, electricity, heating and other services such as telephone or internet costs that you may have to factor in to your budget.

For more information, click here.

[if lte IE 8]
[if lte IE 8]
[if lte IE 8]
[if lte IE 8]