Get information that is essential for all newcomers to Canada


In British Columbia there are two main health insurance plans: the Medical Service Plan (MSP) and the PharmaCare . For those, who can not afford to pay the monthly MSP premium, there is Premium Assistance.

After getting a medical insurance coverage, a newcomer should find a family physician. On its website, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, which regulates medical practice in the province, provides a list of physicians accepting new patients.

If necessary, family physicians refer their patients to specialists and to hospitals.
Patients who have not found family doctors can go to walk-in clinics.

To learn about non-emergency healh issues and services in BC in Chinese, French, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese click here.

In case of medical emergency call 911. If you are concerned about possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control at 1-800-567-8911.