A mandatory hotel quarantine requirement is now in place. This new measure will help to limit the spread of the COVID-19 variants. So as of February 22, 2021, here’s what you need to know and do before you fly to Canada.
What’s new? You must book and pre-pay for a three-night stay at a government-approved hotel. While your meals will be provided, the hotel costs will vary. The only people who do not have follow the hotel quarantine are:
- Essential workers
- Cross-border workers
- People receiving medical treatment.
When you arrive in Canada, you must remain at the hotel until you receive your post-arrival COVID-19 test results.
What’s the same? Canada still requires you to follow a 14-day quarantine period. If you receive a negative COVID-19 test result when you arrive in Canada, you can leave the hotel and continue to quarantine. However, if you receive a positive result you will have to relocate to a facility that the government identifies.
If Flying to Canada: New Testing & Hotel Quarantine Requirements
You will need to follow new requirements:
- Before You Travel
2. At the Border
3. When You Quarantine in Canada
1. Before You Travel: Checklist
- Find out if you can enter Canada
- Check if there are any provincial or territorial restrictions
- Book your hotel for a 3-night stay at a government-approved hotel
- Get a COVID-19 molecular test 72 hours before your scheduled flight
- Use ArriveCAN to submit your travel and quarantine plans
- Wear a mask.
Currently, you can only book a hotel by telephone. There is no option to book online.
2. At the Border: Checklist
- Wear a mask
- Answer health screening and quarantine plan questions to see if you can enter Canada
- Provide required information and documents
- Take a COVID-19 molecular test
- Collect a COVID-19 test kit for use later during your quarantine.
You will have to stay at a location identified by the government if:
- you have symptoms, or
- your quarantine plan is not approved.
3. When You Quarantine in Canada: Checklist
Go to your pre-booked hotel and wait for your COVID-19 arrival results
If your test result is negative:
- continue to your quarantine location to complete the remainder of your 14-day quarantine period.
- complete your COVID-19 test kit as instructed (on Day 10)
If your test result is positive:
- you will have to move to a facility that the government identifies to quarantine (isolate).
How to Book a Hotel
- Call the hotel booking number if your flight is scheduled to arrive in Canada within the next 48 hours.
You can only book your hotel by phone. It’s not possible to book your hotel online or by calling hotels directly.
Government Approved Hotels
As of February 22, 2021, the Canadian Government has approved several hotels in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Calgary:
Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ)
Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
Calgary International Airport (YYC)
Make Sure to Comply with Public Health Measures
If you do not comply with all public health measures, you may be subject to fines and penalties that include:
- A fine of up to $750,000 and/or
- Six months in prison.
It’s important to follow the hotel quarantine and all public health measures. Because when you do, you’ll play an important role to limit the spread of COVID-19. And you’ll protect your health and the health of others!
For more information about Canada, check out our free resources and settle in Canada with confidence and ease!