This post was updated: February 25, 2021.
Effective: Feb 22, 2021:
A mandatory hotel quarantine is in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 variants. Read More.
All people entering Canada must use ArriveCAN to meet new border measures announced by the Canadian government. People who enter Canada by air, land, or sea can use the ArriveCAN app to provide important travel information. This measure took effect on November 21, 2020.
People must now provide information electronically before and after they enter Canada about their:
- Travel and contact information, and
- COVID-19 symptom self-assessment.
What is the ArriveCAN App?
Canada introduced the ArriveCAN app in April 2020. It is a mobile app that can help travellers to:
- follow legal measures with ease
- reduce the spread of COVID-19.
ArriveCAN is a secure app. And it does not use technology such as GPS to monitor or track your movements.
How Can I Get the ArriveCAN App?
There are two ways that you can provide your information to ArriveCAN:
- Download the mobile app for Android at Google Play or for iOS through the App Store.
- Sign in online at this Government of Canada website.
What are the Benefits of Using the ArriveCAN App?
When you use the ArriveCan App you will:
- Comply with legal measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- Avoid enforcement actions and costly penalties.
- Reduce wait times at ports of entry in Canada.
- Increase your safety by limiting points of contact.
What are ArriveCAN Pre-Arrival Requirements?
- Submit your travel and contact details electronically before you board your flight to Canada.
- Provide your quarantine plan
- Complete a COVID-19 self-assessment.
When you enter Canada, you must show your ArriveCAN receipt to a border services officer. The officer will verify that you have submitted your information electronically.
What are ArriveCAN Post-Arrival Requirements?
When you enter Canada, you must:
- Quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days.
- Provide information through ArriveCAN or call this toll-free number: 1-833-641-0343 during your quarantine.
- Confirm that you have arrived at your quarantine location within 48 hours of your arrival.
- Complete a daily COVID-19 self-assessment.
What Information Do I Provide to ArriveCAN?
Contact Information: Name, date of birth, email address, phone number
Travel Document Details: Date of arrival, flight number, airport, and airline
Symptoms You may be Experiencing
Quarantine Plan: location and address, living arrangements, and, access to food, medication, and other essentials.
Download our immigration checklist with the new Quarantine Plan checklist:
How will My Information be Used?
The government will use your information to confirm that you follow the isolation order. As well, the provinces can also use the information to follow up for public health purposes.
Also, the government may contact you during your quarantine period.
Also, law enforcement officers will contact you if you don’t submit your information within 48 hours of your arrival.
What Happens if I Don’t Submit My Information with the ArriveCAN App?
If you don’t use the ArriveCAN app, you must call this toll-free number:
Is There a Penalty If I Don’t Provide Information?
Yes, you can face a penalty if you don’t provide information. And penalties can include verbal warnings or a $1,000 fine.
If you are unable to provide your information electronically, you may be given an exception. For example, this could apply if you have a disability or for other personal reasons.
So if you are unable to use the ArriveCAN app, send an email to: [email protected]
For information about living and working in Canada, be sure to check out our free webinars!