Immigrating to a new country is a daunting prospect for anyone. Having to adapt to a new culture and climate is difficult for everyone, but for younger people, a little extra help can go a long way.
Are you between the age of 15 to 30 and new to Canada? Need a job but don’t have a plan? DIVERSEcity can help you to discover your aptitude and find a matching career. Perhaps a career in trades is right for you? Acquire the essential skills & short-term certificates. Don’t know how to small talk? DIVERSEcity’s programs will teach you how to communicate the right way so that you can succeed in Canada. You will have an opportunity for a work experience placement, and learn on the job!
What can DIVERSEcity’s program do for me?
DIVERSEcity’s Immigrant Youth Employment Program provides a combination of life and employability training to prepare you for success in a career of your choice.
By enrolling in the program, you can:
- Explore your career options – Here you will learn what your past experience, or lack thereof, means for your future career prospects
- Pick up job search techniques – Learning the best ways to find work in Canada is essential for making sure that you don’t miss out on an opportunity that is perfect for you
- Get the essential skills you need to succeed in the workplace – This can be everything from soft skills to helping you to understand how you can make the best possible first impression at your new job in Canada
- Explore Great Alternative Careers in Canada
- How newcomers can make a great first impression in Canada
- Newcomers and healthcare in Canada
To be eligible for DIVERSEcity’s program you need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Immigrant and refugee youth; PRs and Citizens welcome
- Unemployed or Underemployed working less than 20 hours/week
- Non-EI eligible
Details on the programs
DIVERSEcity has two main programs that are ideal for newcomers to Canada between the ages of 12 and 30. The Future Leaders Program and the Future Troopers Program. See below for details:
6 Week Program:
- Group-Based Employability Skills and Work Experience
- Gain 6 weeks of group-based Job Search Tips
- Career Planning and Life Skills Workshops
- Work placement for 10 weeks with an entry-level position in retail and/or food sector
- Certification in Customer Service, Food Safe, WHMIS, Serving it Right and First Aid
- Receive Completion Bonus after 16 weeks of program
12 Week Program:
- Individual Skills Enhancement, Post-Secondary Training Courses, and Work Experience
- Up to 12 weeks of Post-Secondary Training Courses from a recognized institution
- One on One Coaching for Career Exploration and Employability Skills
- Financial support for Tuition, Living Allowance, and a Completion Bonus
- 12 Weeks of post-training Work placement
The Future Troopers Program hosts a variety of employment workshops including career planning, essential skills, and job search skills. Training and job placements are open to eligible clients. If you are looking for a specific industry or need guidance pursuing the right fit, employment specialists are there to help you each step of the way.
FREE SHORT TERM TRAINING CERTIFICATE Receive training* including, but not limited to:
- Youth employment support program Financial assistance for education and training courses
- Flexible schedule for employment coaching Wage subsidy for eligible clients
- Bank Teller Training
- Basic Security Training
- Customer Service & Cashier Training
- ECE License Assistant
- Fall Arrest
- First Aid Level, CPR
- Fork Lift Safety
- Food Safe Certificate
- Lock out/Tag out
- Responsible Adult (Daycare)
- Serving it Right
- Traffic Control
Seats are limited! Apply now!
For more information: please contact the Immigrant Youth Employment Team: [email protected]