Moving to a new country can be a daunting and stressful experience, but with the right attitude and some forward planning, the process can be a lot easier. This is especially true when you’re looking for work. The first thing that you will need to do is to research the province and city that you will be landing in to see the lay of the land when it comes to the job you want to do in Canada. We’ve gathered together the best Job Finding sites for newcomers coming to British Columbia. The best time to start your job hunt is right now!
Did you know that one of the biggest roadblocks to finding work in Canada as an immigrant is that of resume style?
Join the thousands of other immigrants to Canada that have benefited from our resume templates and download them today.
How to find a job in British Columbia
Soon after you arrive in British Columbia, you will probably want to find work if you don’t have a job already. To get a job, you will need to have your credentials recognized, learn English or improve your language skills, and possibly learn some new job skills.
It often helps to have a job offer before you come to B.C. You can take many steps before you leave your home country.
The resources listed below can help you learn about job demand and opportunities in British Columbia, and help you find a job.
- WorkBC job board – This is a great resource that can help to kick-start your job search. You can explore the WorkBC job board to find many job postings from all around B.C.
- WelcomeBC career profiles – This website contains very valuable information on a lot of career options in British Columbia including wages, licensing requirements and more.
- Canada Job Bank – A great search tool for jobs in British Columbia and all of Canada.
- B.C. Labour Market Outlook – Read about job opportunities in B.C.’s labour market over the next few years and the skills and education that would be needed for them.
- WorkBC Jobs in Demand – Find out which occupations are expected to have the most job opportunities in the coming decade.
- Income and wages in B.C. – Learn about B.C.’s average income and minimum wage, and find related resources.
Learn about your city
The more you learn about your new city before you land in Canada the better. Download your free ebook today to learn everything that you want to know about your new home before you arrive!
Click Here to access our range of city-specific ebooks!
- Explore Great Alternative Careers in Canada
- How Newcomers Can Make a Great First Impression in Canada
- Canadian Employers Insist on Good Communication Skills
In addition, you can take these steps:
- Check the online job listings or the classified sections of national and local newspapers.
- Contact the employment departments of organizations where you would like to work.
- Ask friends and family living in B.C. for any leads on jobs.
- If you are interested in the Construction Industry in BC then learn how you can Join British Columbia’s Construction Workforce
- Get support from a settlement services agency.
- If you need to upgrade your skills, see if you are eligible for the Career Paths program.
- Visit the Skilled Immigrant InfoCentre (SIIC) at the Vancouver Public Library or online for employment programs and information.
- Find volunteer opportunities to help you gain Canadian work experience.
- Call or visit a Service Canada Centre for information on government of Canada employment services and training help.
- Explore WorkBC.ca for employment services offered through the province of B.C. (although not necessary to finding work, hire an employment agency or recruiter).