Are you planning to move to Toronto in the near future? While there is a lot to think about and plan out, where you are going to live is at the top of the list. Finding an apartment to rent is an important decision to make. But it’s even more challenging when you are looking for a place to live while you are currently living abroad.
Toronto is a big place. The city is diverse, with countless culturally diverse neighborhoods. There’s lots of apartments for rent in Toronto. You want to find a place that fits your lifestyle: a place you find comfortable.
Use the following information to find an apartment for rent in Toronto while you are living abroad:
Research Apartments for Rent in Toronto to Learn about the Market
The first step to finding apartments for rent in Toronto is to research online. You can learn about your options by simply reading up on the city. The rental market for apartments is different for every city. So, it’s important for you to familiarize yourself with:
- The types of units available: What are the most common types of rental units? Are they in apartment/multifamily buildings, condo rentals, basement apartments, townhomes, or a combination of all? What is the most popular rental type – bachelors, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or bigger? Can you rent a room?
- Rent prices: Toronto rental apartment prices are expensive by comparison to other cities in Ontario. How much you will pay is dependant on your unit type, neighborhood, and other available amenities.
- The most affordable neighborhoods: Your location can make a huge difference in how much you will pay.
- Popular locations for renters: What are the best areas of the city to rent? What locations have the best amenities, restaurants, entertainment, and other things you enjoy?
Having a good overview of apartments for rent in Toronto will give you a good base of knowledge to start your search.
Check out Rentals for Newcomers. This is a practical and easy-to-navigate site that can help you locate apartments for rent in Toronto. You’ll also find great articles about renting in Canada!
Review Lease Regulations
Familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations around leasing property in Toronto. Be aware of the type of information a landlord can request on your lease application. Know what they can and cannot ask you for. The provincial Landlord and Tenant Board will provide you with all the information you need. And knowing your rights as a renter will ensure that you can enjoy your home without hassles.
Be Careful with Online Apartment Listings
One of the most challenging aspects of looking for an apartment in Toronto online is knowing if a listing is legitimate or not. Listings can be deceiving. Units may not be as they appear in photos. There is no substitute for seeing a rental in person before you agree to lease it. Plus, there are some people who try to take advantage of new renters to the city, so tread carefully with online listings. Here are some tips to follow:
- If a listing seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Be careful with people who are pushy or trying to persuade you into entering a lease agreement quickly.
- Ask for a live video tour of the rental. This will give you the chance to see the unit live and speak with the landlord.
- Do not send any unnecessary personal information.
- Never send money to someone online unless you are sure the listing is legitimate.
- If possible, have someone local check out the listing for you to verify it is as advertised.
Consider Temporary Accommodation First When Looking for Apartments for Rent in Toronto
Finding a place to live is an important decision. It definitely isn’t one you want to rush. A common strategy for people looking for an apartment in Toronto when living abroad is the stay in a temporary location while completing your search. This could mean staying with friends or family if you know people in the city. Or you could stay at a hotel or Airbnb. Staying in temporary accommodations at first gives you the chance to explore the areas you are considering and see listings in-person before you make a decision.
Use a Local Real Estate Agent
One of the best decisions you can make when looking for an apartment in Toronto when living outside of the country is to enlist the services of a local real estate agent. There are a lot of agents in the city that specialize in helping people find renters. They will have an inside track on listings that are coming up and they can help you quickly narrow down your search based on your budget, location preferences, and other considerations.
Finding apartments for rent in Toronto can be difficult. And it’s even more challenging when you are looking from abroad. But, when you use this information to refine your search, you’ll find a great apartment when you are ready to move to Toronto.
For more information, tools, and free webinars about living in Canada visit our Settling in Canada resource page. We’ll help you to settle in Canada successfully!