Ontario is providing immediate health care coverage for newcomers in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The province has removed the 3-month wait period for heath care coverage if you have recently landed in Ontario.
So this means that you can get free screening and treatment for COVID-19 even if you don’t have Ontario health insurance right now.
While you can apply for health care coverage in Ontario as soon as you land, you would normally have to wait at least 3 months for your coverage to begin. But due to COVID-19 the Ontario provincial government made this announcement to protect the health of all people in Ontario during the COVID-19 outbreak.
What does this immediate health care coverage for newcomers mean?
This means that if you need immediate health care for COVID-19 you:
- Will get immediate screening and treatment for COVID-19
- Will not have to pay any fee
- Do not need to show an Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card to get screening or treatment.
Why has the Ontario government taken this step?
The provincial government has taken this step to:
- Ensure that anyone in Ontario who needs to be tested or treated for COVID-19 does so immediately
- Protect the health and well-being of all people in Ontario during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
It’s important to remember that everyone should:
- Practice social distancing: Find out why physical distance is important.
- Stay at least 2 metres (or six feet) away from people outside of your immediate family
- Self-isolate for 14 days if you have recently arrived in Canada or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 symptoms
Other Ontario health resources:
- Recognize the symptoms of COVID-19 and take this online self-assessment
- Contact your primary care provider or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms
- Call 911 if you have severe symptoms and difficulty breathing.